You do an awfully good impression of yourself.

[Vintage dashiki + Current/Elliott Elephant bell jeans + Alex and Ani hoops]

Where I can usually be found: on my tuffet by the fire, laptop open, glass of wine and Eli present and close by.

Dig this vintage dashiki I found on etsy. I have a long, red dashiki caftan but Rob temporarily turned me from it: he found it in my closet back in FL when I was in the bathroom, and I walked back into the bedroom to find him wearing it, unzipped just so, chest hair creeping out the neckline. It fit him perfectly.

So, the dashiki and me: a match made in smelly, stained separates’ heaven.

This wine and me: we had a shakier start.

It’d been in the fridge with only a half-glass missing, leftover from the VT weekend. Open bottles don’t last long around these here parts, but for some reason whenever I opened the fridge and saw it in there, a slight nausea tinkled around my chest like Oscar the Grouch was in there playing the xylophone on my ribcage. Oscar, baby, mezzo forte.

I was sitting on the counter watching Rob pour a beer (after refusing one of my own), making barely audible whining sounds.

Why don’t you just have a glass of Riesling?

GOD, NO. I’ve had that kind before.

You didn’t like it, I take it?

Nah, it was alright… (eyes glaze over)… it was 2003, the Fourth of July, Charleston, SC—I drank an entire bottle… and vomited for 2 days.

So that’s why you haven’t touched this! I knew something was amiss.

What, as in, how could I possibly leave an open bottle of wine untouched for more than an hour?

I suppose it was a little unprecedented. I’d recounted the same anecdote to Casey while in Vermont, who replied, “Sounds pretty par for the course for you.”

There’s still some in there, if you’d like a nip.

-Carey

<< Next Post

Previous Post >>

Tags: , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “You do an awfully good impression of yourself.”

1. February 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm #

In wine snob circles I have, and shamefully admit you would never drink a wine opened more than a day; unless you pump out the air with a Vino Vac pump…I know I cannot see how it could have been too bad, and that cat is so cute!

2. February 16, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

Love the dashiki! Also the bangles! Where are they from?

• corksandcaftans
      February 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

cheapy cheap from Forever 21! Something ridiculous like $5. :)

3. corksandcaftans
    February 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

We definitely do the Vino Vac. The fridge lets a few more days slip by. But actually, I’ve read the Vino Vac doesn’t even make a difference even though we are so religious with it. The best method is to fill the bottle with marbles then recork! This wine was leftover from Rob’s 21-yr-old cousin, and used STRICTLY for emergency purposes!!! :)

4. February 16, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

Ooh I love the dashiki as well! I can’t get enough of vintage tunics!!

5. February 17, 2010 at 9:50 am #

it’s the same way with me and uh…..tequila. whoopsie.

• corksandcaftans
      February 17, 2010 at 10:00 am #

The devil’s poison! So good going down… but always makes its way back up. I learned to stay away from tequila the hard way. I’m shivering slightly at the memory…

6. Caroline
    February 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

Love the use of the word “tuffet.” That definitely needs to be brought back into the lexicon. Second, I am nearly incapable of leaving bottles of wine open. I feel like what’s left is lonely or something.

7. March 8, 2010 at 11:31 am #

Hey C&C,
    Great post, I am giving you a link/pingback.
    Me: http://www.dashikis.net and blogging from ethnicapparel.wordpress
    Kind regards,
    John B

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Elephant Ear Dashiki « Hawaiian Shirt, MuuMuu, Dashiki and More - March 8, 2010

[…] Corks and Caftans likes dashikis too, with a little quiet introspection thrown in…. http://corksandcaftans.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/you-do-an-awfully-good-impression-of-yourself/ […]

2. It’s a beautiful day, Bret Easton Ellis. « Corks and Caftans - May 1, 2010

[…] Lunar Park: “You do an awfully good impression of yourself.” [loved so much, I stole it here.] […]