You do an awfully good impression of yourself.

[Vintage dashiki + Current/Elliott Elephant bell jeans + Alex and Ani hoops]

Where I can usually be found: on my tuffet by the fire, laptop open, glass of wine and Eli present and close by.

I’m in love with this vintage dashiki I found on etsy. I have a long, red dashiki caftan but Rob temporarily turned me from it: he found it in my closet back in FL when I was in the bathroom, and I walked back into the bedroom to find him wearing it, unzipped just so, chest hair creeping out the neckline. It fit him perfectly. So it doesn’t quite hold the same allure, but I’m heading back down there this week. Maybe I’ll reconsider and bring her home.

This weekend will actually be the longest we’ve been apart since we got engaged. Cra’y.

So, the dashiki and me: a match made in smelly, stained separates’ heaven.

This wine and me: we had a shakier start.

It’d been in the fridge with only a half-glass missing, leftover from the VT weekend. Open bottles don’t last long around these here parts, but for some reason whenever I opened the fridge and saw it in there, a slight nausea tinkled around my chest like Oscar the Grouch was in there playing the xylophone on my ribcage. Oscar, baby, mezzo forte.

I was sitting on the counter watching Rob pour a beer (after refusing one of my own), making barely audible whining sounds.

Why don’t you just have a glass of Riesling?

GOD, NO. I’ve had that kind before.

You didn’t like it, I take it?

Nah, it was alright… (eyes glaze over)… it was 2003, the Fourth of July, Charleston, SC—I drank an entire bottle… and vomited for 2 days.

So that’s why you haven’t touched this! I knew something was amiss.

What, as in, how could I possibly leave an open bottle of wine untouched for more than an hour?

Uhm, not sure… was your English teacher’s cat named Boner?

Yes, what’s your point?

I suppose it was a little unprecedented. I’d recounted the same anecdote to Casey while in Vermont, who replied, “Sounds pretty par for the course for you.” Regardless, a half hour later I was nestled by the fire with a goblet of it, and noticed Rob laughing at me out of the corner of my eye.

There’s still some in there, if you’d like a nip.

-Carey

<< Next Post

Previous Post >>

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

11 Responses to “You do an awfully good impression of yourself.”

1. February 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm #

In wine snob circles I have, and shamefully admit you would never drink a wine opened more than a day; unless you pump out the air with a Vino Vac pump…I know I cannot see how it could have been too bad, and that cat is so cute!

2. February 16, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

Love the dashiki! Also the bangles! Where are they from?

• corksandcaftans
      February 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

cheapy cheap from Forever 21! Something ridiculous like $5. :)

3. corksandcaftans
    February 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

We definitely do the Vino Vac. The fridge lets a few more days slip by. But actually, I’ve read the Vino Vac doesn’t even make a difference even though we are so religious with it. The best method is to fill the bottle with marbles then recork! This wine was leftover from Rob’s 21-yr-old cousin, and used STRICTLY for emergency purposes!!! :)

4. February 16, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

Ooh I love the dashiki as well! I can’t get enough of vintage tunics!!

5. February 17, 2010 at 9:50 am #

it’s the same way with me and uh…..tequila. whoopsie.

• corksandcaftans
      February 17, 2010 at 10:00 am #

The devil’s poison! So good going down… but always makes its way back up. I learned to stay away from tequila the hard way. I’m shivering slightly at the memory…

6. Caroline
    February 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

Love the use of the word “tuffet.” That definitely needs to be brought back into the lexicon. Second, I am nearly incapable of leaving bottles of wine open. I feel like what’s left is lonely or something.

7. March 8, 2010 at 11:31 am #

Hey C&C,
    Great post, I am giving you a link/pingback.
    Me: http://www.dashikis.net and blogging from ethnicapparel.wordpress
    Kind regards,
    John B

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Elephant Ear Dashiki « Hawaiian Shirt, MuuMuu, Dashiki and More - March 8, 2010

[...] Corks and Caftans likes dashikis too, with a little quiet introspection thrown in…. http://corksandcaftans.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/you-do-an-awfully-good-impression-of-yourself/ [...]

2. It’s a beautiful day, Bret Easton Ellis. « Corks and Caftans - May 1, 2010

[...] Lunar Park: “You do an awfully good impression of yourself.” [loved so much, I stole it here.] [...]