Sayonara, Empire State!

Carey Wodehouse in Leyendecker Poncho

… it’s been real getting financially mutilated by your absurd property taxes! Time for a change of scenery…

Carey Wodehouse Leyendecker poncho

[Scarf knitted by Aunt Sue! + Gara Danielle necklace + Fortunate Sun t-shirt + JCrew cords + Leyendecker poncho + ShopBop hat + Ugg boots]

Carey Wodehouse Bromley Vermont

Carey Wodehouse cold in poncho

So, did you guess yet? We’re moving to Vermont!

It’s only about an hour and a half from Saratoga, and we’ll be back often, but it’s still a journey. And on the heels of a super stressful Fall in the Burd-house household: we somewhat reluctantly navigated the real estate market of our tiny town and came out with all our limbs intact—rare in these shiteful times! Rather than consider ourselves homeless (which I was wont to do most nights at around 3am for the past 2 months) or give away Eli to qualify for a ‘no pets’ shitty apartment in Saratoga, in the interim of deciding what’s best for us, we’re setting up shop in the Green Mountain State.

Among many things, this means, for the first time in years, Road Warrior Rob won’t have an hour+ commute each way. The kid drives hours in dangerous weather after a full day of manual labor—that’s a hardworking man. And me? I cannot wait to tap into the productivity of peace and quiet and work from home—score one for the Internet.

These are two huge bonuses to 2011 I don’t think either of us has had a moment to sit down and be really, really freaking thankful for.

We’re excited to share this new adventure with you—it’s a new phase for us, and for C+C. New cozy restaurants to explore and recommend, jazz & martini Thursdays will be replaced with beer & bluegrass Thursdays; new wine stores, new friends, new (stunning) backdrops for Rob’s evolving photographic skills, and personal growth achieved through relative solitude, which I’ve illustrated for you with a rudimentary infographic:

It’s true; I’m a little worried about the possibility for cabin fever. I have high hopes for my ability to not murder my family, though.

More on this later; lots of packing to do.

-Carey

Tags: , , , ,

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

31 Responses to “Sayonara, Empire State!”

1. January 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

congrats on the move! we’ve always wanted to live in vermont, unfortunately the lack of a job for us, prevents us from living in bernie sander’s state :) less commute is always good, you guys will get to spend much more time together. working from home is SO nice, no more freezing to get to work! – bea

2. robin
    January 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

Good luck with the move! It does look beautiful there.

I love this look. This is what I want to wear the rest of the winter. You look like a beautiful snow princess.

Funny comparisons. I will pray for the outcome on the right. :) Minus the baby.

3. January 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Wow! cool! Looking forward to your Vermont flavored posts! Wishing you a hassle free move :)

4. Lina
    January 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm #

This is wonderful you will love it. Cabin fever equals huge inernet shopping so be careful. You Guys will do great in vermont off course you will be longing Florida beaches a bit more. Sorry I have been away for so many weeks but with a new baby in tow has not been easy. Now that I can be drinking vino again so looking forward to rob’s magnificent reviews!!!!!

Much love. Lina

5. January 16, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

Wow, that’s a huge move! But Vermont is beautiful. And I’m absolutely in love with that poncho. You wear it well.

6. January 17, 2011 at 12:23 am #

WOW this sounds awesome! Writing in the snowy woods via laptop light and fireplace? Score. Can’t wait to hear more about it. PS- love these photos. Isn’t the snow great? I know I’m still a novice at this winter thing, but I love it. Kinda really jealous of y’all! What a nice change.

7. January 17, 2011 at 10:24 am #

Sounds incredible! It takes a lot of guts to make such a big move, but it sounds like you will flourish in that environment.

Victoria

p.s. Skiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnng!

8. mary faith
    January 17, 2011 at 10:54 am #

i sorta fell in love with SS over the past year and a half…i feel like i’m moving too. but i’m way excited for your move. and that, via technology, i get to come along too. xxoo

9. mickie
    January 17, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

How exciting…! Congratulations.

“There’s a lot to enjoy in a life of solitude, I’ve learned, but I know that I’m not alone, either. Love is all around me.”
    dominque browning

10. January 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Congratulations! I assumed from the title that you’re moving to FL, but Vermont makes more sense and it’ll be beautiful.

• Corks and Caftans
      January 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Thanks for all the nice comments, dudes!

11. julie
    January 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Damn… first Marylou, now you…

Best wishes! Be sure to stock up on woodchucks — http://www.woodchuck.com :)

• Corks and Caftans
      January 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Mmm. Cider.

You know, there’s an actual REAL living breathing woodchuck that resides in the woods behind the house. He’s so fat and cute, I can’t wait to put his floppy self on the blog at first sighting. And thanks for the well wishes :)

12. January 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

When we decided to move from LA to Temecula I was scared. It’s been almost a year and I’m still trying to find things to keep me busy since auditions are out of the question for a while. There’s so much to our move that has been a positive. I’ll share with you one day but let’s just say it saved one if not 2 of my daughters lives. Go with the flow and enjoy your hubby. Mine has quite the commute as our biz is still up there. Your still you now you just have different stuff to share with us!
    More time for sex too!

• Corks and Caftans
      January 17, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

10 more reasons to love Heather.

• January 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Duh

13. Margie C
    January 17, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

When we lived in Saratoga, we spent a lot of time travelling to Vermont. It’s gorgeous. It does not have to be lonely either. You will make new friends and find that there’s a lot to do there…..lots of boutiques too!

• Corks and Caftans
      January 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks, M! I already feel like it’s my second home since we spend so much time there; I’m looking forward to working mornings at the Northshire Bookstore and using my lunch breaks to shop for groceries again… I feel like it’s been years since I’ve tried a new recipe. I’m absolutely thrilled!

14. January 17, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

Congrats on the move! The boyfriend and I have been known to occasionally drive down to Vermont from Montreal when we have nothing to do. Strange but true. But come to think of it we always end up in a Best Buy or a TJ Maxx. So once you settle in and discover new spots I’m definitely gonna be needing your tips for a change of scenery in our change of scenery.

• Corks and Caftans
      January 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

or you could just scoot all the way to Southern Vermont and have a hot toddy with us!!!

Thanks.. we’re so excited! And that much closer to our 3-year-planned-but-never-accomplished trip to Montreal, in which case… I’ll have to ask you to return the favor!

15. Wendy
    January 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

Spent many a winters on Bromley Mtn. My Aunt and Uncle lived about a mile away. Learned to ski there. Congrats on your move!! Soo looking forward to your Green Mtn posts and beautiful wintery photography scenes. Not to mention the continuing saga of Rob and the craggy wine store owner. :-)

• Corks and Caftans
      January 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

if you were ever there in the summers, you probably got helped onto the Alpine Slide by Rob! mmm… Alpine Slide…

16. January 18, 2011 at 5:53 am #

What a super darling poncho!!! Cozy!

17. January 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Congrats and good luck!

18. January 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Gorgeous look!
    Love your sunnies!
    And congrats on the move!

xoxox,
    CC

19. January 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

All the best to you guys! Hope all the cold and snow doesn’t make you both completely coo coo for cocoa puffs! :-)

You guys should probably live far, far away from the granite and marble quarries in Barre until you’ve endured a few Vermont winters…just to be safe;)

Cheers to you both and your sanity!!

• Corks and Caftans
      January 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Thank you so much Mark. At least we are in the southern most part of the state. I did a few winters up in Burlington. Not fun at all. Your blog is looking great btw.

20. January 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Awww man! I’ll miss seeing familiar places in your posts! Good luck and congrats though! If you have a minute in moving and want to say hello over drinks/food/cake, let me know :)

21. January 20, 2011 at 9:57 am #

SO excited for you. athough i wanted you to move to chicago (please?), i’m glad you’re excited for this experience. and vermont? awesome winters, fantastic summers, and falls filled with foliage…it’ll be great! congrats, C!

22. elle
    June 20, 2011 at 7:09 pm #

congratulations on your move, and looks like you are moving in style! great leyendecker poncho.. love it

23. damie
    July 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Great change of scenery, it looks absolutely beautiful. And I agree about those property taxes.. very unnecessary and an abuse of power.

Anyways, your clothes look great! Love that poncho and sunglass combo and smile!